Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Name is Kahn or Bollywood Meets Forrest Gump

A collective HUH? From my blog readers. "My name is Khan"?, "bollywood"? whatchutalking bout Doc?

Chris and I saw the movie "My name is Khan" last night, and wouldn't you know the Washington Post had an article about it in the Sunday edition:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/04/AR2010030405760.html?hpid=topnews

So if you haven't guessed without reading the article it is an Indian movie, it was subtitled but some portions were in English.

In my opinion the movie portrayed the U.S.A. in a bad light, just about every stereotypical bad American was in the movie.

But the "Forrest Gump" connections, I wasn't sure, but the more I thought about it, absolutely. So here I go:

MNIK = My name is Khan FG = Forrest Gump

FG = Forrest has a special gift, running
MNIK = Khan has a special gift, repairing things

FG = Meets the President
MNIK = Khan meets the President

FG = Life is like a box of chocolates
MNIK = My name is Khan and I am not a terrorist

FG = Has a personal mission, goes cross country.
MNIK = Has a personal mission, goes cross country

FG = Life changes because of a hurricane
MNIK = More or less, life changes because of a hurricane

FG = Forrest calls his Mom, Momma and his wanna be girlfriends name is Jenny
MNIK = Character named Momma Jenny

FG = Wins the Medal of Honor
MNIK = Momma Jenny's son dies in the Iraq war and is awarded the Medal of Honor (They don't say this but it is displayed with his picture)

FG = Ends up in Georgia
MNIK = Khan ends up in Georgia

There are probably a few more connections that I can't think of right now, I'll add them later as I think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tend not agree with the author on most all points when it comes to cinema. We even have a rule, no, LAW. After viewing, there is absolutely no critiquing, comments or conversation about whatever it is we've just seen. May sound extreme, but it saves us, what could turn out to be, lengthy and heated "discussions". He gets to vent here on his forum, and I get to disagree! I think if you want to see a correlation in any two things, you will. He has. I didn't. Nuff said.