Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pictures of Todays Big Adventure With My Son

My son arrived after two long days of traveling from the west coast of the U.S.A. to here via London. As expected he chatted it up with a Sri Lankan girl he met at Heathrow, somehow I knew that and they were seat mates as well. He managed to stay up all morning long, go to the gym, eat a hearty breakfast and ready to see the town.

We geared up for a walking tour and he got his first taste of a typical scam artist not but two blocks from the apartment. I say scam artist but he did tell us we couldn't walk any further and that the road was closed, I knew he was lying which made me mad, he segued into the "gem store sale" which I saw coming a mile away, starting with when I saw him run across the street to talk to us. I told him we lived here, he didn't say another word and walked across the street again.

We first visited the Hindu temple. I had never been inside before. Was kind of what I expected. There was a wedding going on, very ornate apparel worn by the bride and groom, no one was taking photos so we didn't either.

Got hassled by a guy trying to sell me stamps on the way out as Corey was hurriedly trying to put on his shoes so we could get out of there.

Stopped at a coconut stand and he had his fist coconut and enjoyed it.

We then continued on our walking journey to the Buddhist temple. There are a few here in Colombo and honestly I don't know the name of it, but it's the one with the elephant.

We walked around and looked at the old car collection. I don't know what the story is behind the old cars. I read on the Internet that the senior monk there likes to collect them, I don't know is that's it or people donate them.

We grabbed a trishaw and went to the national museum. It was a little boring, just a bunch of old stuff. The best part was the last king of Sri Lanka's throne, that the Brit's confiscated after they took power and sent to England and then one of the kings sent it back I think in 1936.

We returned to the apartment and put on swim wear and went to our my favorite pool, Corey liked it too.

I saw dark clouds coming and it started raining, then it started pouring, the rain came down in sheets but we kept on playing in the pool. We got out when we heard thunder.

Came back to the apartment for a pretty good lightning show and a rouring wedding reception at Raja Bajun (Ground floor curry buffet restaurant here at the apartments).

After Corey cleaned up he laid down on the couch and it was lights out.

Here are some pictures in no particular order:


1 comment:

Carol Hargis said...

That safe caught my eye, too. Considering all the treasures on display, the one(s) in the safe must be pretty darn special!