Saturday, January 23, 2010

Matara the Waves

One thing I did enjoy about our trip to Matara was the chance to sample some of Sri Lanka's famous waves.

Now I'm hardly some fancy acrobatic boogie boarder, I just enjoy the sensation of riding a fast wave, Matara offered that and then some.

If you have kept up with my blog you'll know that the waves in Beruwela were disappointing, to the point that even attempting to ride them was a waste of time. On the other hand in Matara I had to wait for the right chance to ride a wave that I decided wasn't going to crush me.

On my first trip out into the water I worked my way past the breakers and almost immediately was greeted with the crest of a wave. With my boogie board power fins adorned on my feet I started paddling and waited to get picked up by the wave, and I did. It was probably at least 10' or higher, I was going very fast inside the wave when I suddenly fell down and the wave crashed over me. It was a very scary sensation. When I finally made my way to the surface I headed immediately to the beach to recover.

I ended up riding some other good waves that day, but steered clear on the man crushers.

I would like to learn how to surf while I'm here. I'd be happy to ride one wave on a surfboard.

No comments: