Sunday, February 6, 2011

Boondoggling

Definition of BOONDOGGLE
1
: a braided cord worn by Boy Scouts as a neckerchief slide, hatband, or ornament
2
: a wasteful or impractical project or activity often involving graft
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boondoggle

I'm not exactly sure that I can agree completely with the Merriam-Webster definition, I prefer to call a boondoggle working while having fun.

Tomorrow morning I leave for what will be my third boondoggle since my assignment to Sri Lanka. When I was in Montevideo I never went on a boondoggle, while assigned to Jeddah I went on one.

The other week I was in the Maldives which is a prime boondoggle mission, especially because of the outrageous daily per diem amount. Tomorrow will be on the the complete other end of the spectrum as I am going to Badulla which is in the interior of Sri Lanka:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badulla It's going to be a six hour trip by vehicle south. Wish I had an iPod!

Basically I will be manning a booth with promotional material for the company, and I have to give out said promotional material. I did this boondoggle last year but in the old capitol of Kandy. At that exhibition we only had refrigerator magnets to give out and it caused quite the commotion giving those away. This year the goodies have been kicked up a few notches to include book bags, hats, pencils, pocket calendars and Coca Cola. It's probably going to be pretty crazy as we are expecting 3 million to visit.

We have been told that our per diem will be reduced by $5 as the hotel provides breakfast, truth is the company is just trying to save money. Can't blame them.

No comments: